Saturday, May 14, 2011

Toothless

I noticed a few dark spots on his teeth, so we set up a dentist appointment. They couldn't get us in for a month so I said "fine" and didn't really think about it much, I mean, we brushed every night so I wasn't too worried. Well the day of the dentist appointment came and Rowan and Riley were both sick, throwing up sick...they never get sick...we had to move our appointment and two months went by before we finally made it in. The dentist literally rolled his eyes at me after looking at Rowan's x-rays. I took it that wasn't a good sign. He was going to need A LOT of work. I was terrified. I HATE dentists, I hate going to them, hate the shots, hate the numbness, hate the drilling,,,hate. The day before his first appointment my mom gave me a flier for a new pediatric dentist and we decided to cancel his appointment with my dentist and check out the new ones. I'm so glad we did! Spencer & Spencer Pediatric Dentists in Lee's Summit- they were so much more nice and Dr. Spencer explained to me how quickly baby teeth get cavities and that I couldn't blame myself for this. It's hard not to. We decided the best thing would be to have him put under general anesthesia at the hospital and then Dr. Spencer could do everything in one sitting..and it was a lot of work. At the time we had planned on fixing his front two teeth which had started chipping, but since they couldn't schedule the surgery until another month I had a feeling we would lose those front two. 
The day of the surgery I was terrified. I kept quoting Philippians's 4:6-7 (my verses for anytime I'm anxious..my c-section verses :)..

Philippians's 4:6-7 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

We arrived at the hospital at 7:30am for his appointment at 9:30, so we waited two hours and then got to go back and talk to the anesthesiologists (which I had met both of them during my c-sections in the past and love both of them), they were great with Rowan and then they asked him if he wanted to be carried back or walk on his own..he hopped off the hospital bed in his cute little loony tunes hospital gown and walked into the area we (Nathan and I) had to stay out of. I wanted to cry. We waited two hours (TWO HOURS!!) and finally the dentist came out in the waiting room and took us in a small room to talk. He told us things went well (phew) and that he had to remove the front two teeth, but everything else went as planned. He had to give him a bunch of shots in his gums so he said he'd be really upset and sore when he woke up and that he'd need us there to comfort him. After about twenty more minutes we finally got to go back as he was waking up. I saw my baby half asleep on the hospital bed, blood all over his mouth and pillow. He looked so small on that bed. I was prepared for screaming but what I got was an answer to my prayers I had been praying all morning...Rowan never once cried, never even complained. As the nurse took his IV out blood splattered on the bed and he quickly said "IS THAT PAINT?!", she replied "That is the cutest thing I've ever heard". 
Today I finally got a photo of his new smile. He looks way too old now, but as precious as ever. My sweet 4 1/2 year old baby boy.


1 comment: